Intern Today, Publicist Tomorrow

My internship at DBC PR has thus far shed light on some essential aspects of working PR and without this experience, I would have been at a huge disadvantage when entering the ‘real world’. As an intern, you see, listen and do things that any entry level public relations co-ordinator would you. All the research and writing is crucial to ensuring a communications campaign is realistic and successful. It is important to take in what is going on around you and make note of the little things you think will help you later on.

As a publicist, juggling multiple clients is key and learning how to do this and allocate enough time and every to everyone you represent is so important. As an intern, I would ask for tips on how they do this and my supervisor suggested taking 10 minutes every morning to sift through e-ails and make a to-do list for every client for that day. Crossing everything off the list meant a successful and productive day at work. I think it is lessons like this that make my internship today, a helpful tool for being in PR in the future.

However, there were times when my internship led me to believe I did not want to work in the industry I am in. At times, going after the media can be tedious and hard to secure placements as there is always something more newsworthy that what your client has to say. However, in today’s world, the industry needs people with drive and persistence to achieve this. Rather than dwell on the possibility of a career path change, I chose to focus on harnessing the skills I need to succeed in the world  of public relations. I spoke to others in the office about strengthening media relations and how to use platforms where journalists were looking for stories to write. This meant that publicists and journalists met half way to pitch and secure placements for the media. These helpful tactics are what I believe adds value to the internship.

Finally, it takes a lot to determine a career from some textbooks and theories. While the appeal of a certain job may help someone envision themselves in that work, nothing but an internship can truly prepare one for this. It takes understanding the work ethic, environment and arena in which clients compete in to truly comprehend and foresee what someone is getting themselves into. I believe that DBC showed me just this and facilitated the transition from intern to a future publicist.