Turning Your Internship Into A Real Job

As apart of my internship, I’m responsible for sending out a weekly update that includes interesting articles, fun videos, and relevant professional development information to all the other interns. During one of my first weeks at Grameen, I came across an article from The Huffington Post that I found very interesting—it was called 6 Tips to Turn Your Internship into a Job.” Since it was only the beginning of my internship, I wasn’t too worried about turning it into a job. However, now that I’ve fallen in love with this organization I’m definitely thinking back to the advice in the article for help on coming back to GF in the future. Here are a few of the tips:

1. Give a Final Presentation: Although I won’t be gathering up the whole office and presenting my work to them, I am going to be working closely with my boss and another member of the team to draw up a detailed outline on how to “clone myself.” The idea is that I will have a blueprint document to give to the next intern that outlines my role, my projects, and how I did my work, so that he or she can be my “clone.” This also  works perfectly with the next tip…

2. Smoothly transition off all your projects: In addition to writing a detailed job description report on my duties and projects, I have been working with a new member of the BwB team who has taken over many of my boss’ projects. I’ve been working on these projects with my boss so well positioned to help the new team member get adjusted or answer some of her questions. Helping ease this transition also allows me to leave a good impression in everyone’s mind as I transition out myself.

3. Send a proper goodbye email/follow up: Communication is crucial. It is important to maintain a strong connection with your internship network. I think this is the most important step in trying to get a job with this organization. I will be coming up to this step in a few weeks.

4. Schedule an exit interview with your supervisor: This is the perfect time to talk about feedback and reflect on your internship. This opens the door to discuss potential future options and provides an opportunity for a clear dialogue between you and your boss. I have already discussed future opportunities and received feedback from my boss several times over skype and a one-on-one lunch but I still plan to have another feedback meeting during my final week of working. This will help me learn what I can improve on in order to become a better candidate for a job with this organization (or other related organizations).

5. Take time to Reflect: Think about what you have learned– reflect on your overall internship experience and what you would like going forward. This will help you regroup as you pursue a job going forward.

I hope this article plus my two cents helps any other interns looking to make their internship a real job!