Awkward. How to Get a Reference

It’s an essential end to every internship or job to ask your boss for a letter of recommendation. This task seems simple in concept, but in actuality it can turn into something that makes you question yourself.

It’s been a tough road for me to travel on the quest for references. I’ve transferred schools, which disrupts ties with professors, and I’ve jumped around a lot through short internships. These things hinder getting a good reference letter. Why? Because your boss or supervisor needs to get to know you in order to write something good about you!

I’ve had bosses and professors tell me quite often that they are too busy to write me a reference or that they frankly don’t know me well enough to write anything about me. These problems can be solved in a few easy steps:

reference

1. Be Outgoing- even if you’re not a peppy soul, do your best and make an effort to get to know those around you. Those short conversations during your lunch break matter 10 times more than the work you produce. This goes for professors too. Try to participate in class or, it you’re not comfortable with that, speak to them during their office hours and share a little bit of yourself with them. It means a lot to them and you’ll reap the benefits once they can give you a good reference!

2. Appearances- despite that we would like to believe, appearance is all that matters. If you look like you are succeeding, then your boss/professor probably thinks you are. Dress for success and leave that cell phone in your backpack! If you look and act professional, your superiors will have a better attitude towards you and respect you more.dress-for-success

Thinking ahead will get you ahead. This way, when it comes time to ask for a reference, your supervisor will be glad to give one.simpsons boss bff