The Real Life Intern Skills I’ve Learned from…

The Real Life Intern Skills I’ve Learned from Watching House of Cards

Everyone starts out as an intern, even Frank Underwood. When the second season was released earlier this year, I binge watched the entire thing. While it’s hard to imagine holding as much power as Frank Underwood, I think we can pick up a few life lessons from the fictional king of DC.

gif of Frank Underwood from House of Cards

1.)  “If you don’t like how the table is set, turn over the table.”
This can be hard since interns are towards the bottom of office hierarchy, and it is important not to overstep your bounds. But that shouldn’t stop you working for what you want. If you feel like you aren’t being challenged enough, ask for tasks.

2.)  “Treading water is the same as drowning for people like you and me.”

Learn something from your internship, otherwise you’re just wasting your time. If you are the same person with the same set of skills after you leave then you are wasting your time. You have a unique opportunity to see an office in action, so use that to get ready for your post-grad life.

3.)  “It’s so refreshing to work with someone who’ll throw a saddle on a gift horse rather than look it in the mouth.”

Take advantage of all the little offers from people in your internship. Go to coffee, briefings, and conferences. You never know who you’ll meet or what you’ll learn and I’m sure you’ll be better off than if you had stayed at your desk on facebook.

4.)  “Do the unpleasant thing. The necessary thing.”

Pay attention to what is expected to you from the office and meet up to those expectations. Even if proofreading or sorting files aren’t your favorite way to spend the afternoon.

5.)  “I don’t want to assume, I want to know.”

Ask questions! This is a learning experience, so don’t be intimidated about being inquisitive.

Thank you Netflix for blessing us with House of Cards