Introducing New Spring Blogger: Sofia Baneth

My name is Sofia Baneth and I am one of the new spring bloggers for the AU Career Center. I am a freshman from Raleigh, NC currently interning at Machik, a non-profit in DuPont (description and link provided below).

I am currently a Public Health major and Spanish minor, but I am also considering a major in CLEG (Communications, Law, Economics, and Government) and double minoring in public health and Spanish. I hope to one day intern (or work!) for the NIH, USDA, or on the Hill (do I sound like a typical AU student yet?!).

But that’s enough about me – let me tell you a bit more about Machik.

Machik is a nonprofit organization working to strengthen communities in Tibet. Cofounders and sisters, Losang and Tashi Rabgey established the organization after visiting their family in Tibet back in the 1980’s. Machik began when the Chungba Primary School was first built in Kham, the Southeastern region of Tibet.

Despite its rural setting, the school has been sustained through Machik’s efforts and has successfully taught the children of Chungba. Machik provides the students a bilingual education of Chinese and Tibetan, which has been vital in their development as individuals and the community as a whole.

Likewise, Machik coordinates a “Summer Enrichment Program,” which organizes volunteers from around the world to not only help them foster a sustainable Tibetan community, but also increases awareness of the issue and what can be done.

Machik does so much more, but I will leave it at that for now.

Until next time!

P.S. Check out my bio on the Machik website.

Or visit Machik’s homepage.