Tala Odeh – DBC PR+New Media

My name is Tala Odeh, I am a student at American University and a senior in the School of Communication. I am a Public Communication major with a minor in Marketing. This semester I am interning at DBC PR+New Media – a boutique public relations agency located in the heart of DC’s shopping District”: Georgetown.

The PR industry is dynamic, fast paced and ever changing. It involves a heavy reliance on technology, social media and interpersonal relations. As practitioners in the industry, it is our job to act as a liaison between the clients we represent and their target audience. The nature of the work itself involves pitching to the media to publicize our product or service, we do this using various forms of above and below the line promotion. This means that we cover traditional and new media such as radio, television, print, direct mail and outdoor advertising to create exposure and publicity for the client.

Working in PR is always something I knew I wanted to do as I needed a job that would entail a lot of people work. I am naturally very sociable and enjoy fostering relationships withs anyone I work with, this means that when dealing with the media, particularly to secure placements for a client, nurturing a relationship with the journalist or media gatekeeper is essential. Int he future, I hope to land a job that involves health promotion and communication, I would like to target the Middle East as that is where I am from and the concept of healthy living is an untapped market.

For now, I need the experience at a public relations firm and luckily, I landed an internship via the American University Career Center Job Board. DBC PR was looking for a spring intern that was willing to dedicate at least two days a week to the position and my schedule allowed for three. After submitting my resume, writing a cover letter and going through two rounds of interviews, I successfully had a placement and the seamless recruiting process reflects my current job.

This blog will document my daily work and learning experiences. I look forward to sharing them and reflecting upon this exciting internship!

Tala Odeh

AU School of Communication Class of 2014