Starting with Ready for Hillary

This morning I woke up at 7:30, gave my roommate a dirty look for getting to sleep in, and forty-five minutes later I was on the metro headed to Rosslyn. Now that I’m sitting here at my internship, I still miss my bed a little but I’m even more excited to get started with everything I need to get done today. This semester I’m working for the Ready for Hillary PAC under the Women’s Outreach office, and it has become one of the most exciting aspects of my DC life. Blue background with the words "I'm Ready for Hillary"

My first internship in the District was with my senator, Claire McCaskill. It was an amazing experience, and I loved the fact that I got to work in our nation’s capital. Even though I’m a student in the School of International Service, I’m really interested in women in politics so I’ve been focusing on that instead of an internship with an international organization.

At Ready for Hillary, I’ve been helping our director plan the office launch event. The Women’s Office has a main goal of empowering women to activate their networks so that if Hillary Clinton decides to run for president in 2016 she will have a nationwide web of supporters ready to go into action as soon as they get the go ahead. During the day I work on projects for our social media platform and reach out to women’s organizations across the country.

I’m working with Ready for Hillary for two reasons. The first one is because I want to learn from the experience. I want to learn how to succeed in an office and how to organize networks of people. But secondly (and more importantly) I’m interning for them because women in politics is something that I am very passionate about. When I was a little girl I would tell everyone that I wanted to become the first female president. Now I don’t want to wait another thirty years until I’ve maybe got the skills to run the country. I want our first woman president in 2016 and I want it to be Hillary Rodham Clinton. With my internship, I’m hoping I can help make that happen.