Why Bring Lunch to Work?

1014164_10151707059638855_829888326_n

In some workplaces, there’s free coffee in the break room. Every once in a while, it’ll be Bob’s birthday or Janice’s retirement and you’ll be treated to some cake. Maybe your employer even springs for bagels on Friday mornings.

At my internship? There’s always food in the newsroom.

One of the first things I learned working for a major news network is that people love the free publicity that comes from a camera. On our morning show, Good Day Philadelphia, people are constantly sending in treats, just because our talent may give them a ten second shout out on air. If we run a package with any type of business, you can be certain that there will be goodies waiting in the newsroom. Interviewed a local bakery about their award-winning cupcakes? Expect four dozen of them in the newsroom. Traveled down to the Jersey shore to do a segment on their recovery from Hurricane Sandy? You’ll be traveling back with four pounds of saltwater taffy.

In my weeks of working for FOX 29, I’m first to know about breaking news, I’m on first-name basis with local celebrities, and I’ve held a ball python. But one of my favorite parts of the day will always be heading up to the newsroom to scope out local cuisine.