Start of my internship at PBS

I had the pleasure to secure an internship at PBS MediaShift this summer!

Amy Eisman, my “Writing and Editing for Convergent Media” professor, first told me that Mark Glaser, executive editor of MediaShift, was searching for an intern to work on their weekly podcast, “Mediatwits.”

Though I wasn’t initially selected after the three-step application process (resume and cover letter, exercises, and then an interview), Mark did hire me to come on as an editorial intern to blog and edit the site for the summer.

A few weeks later, Mark’s first pick for their podcasting intern had to go, and he promoted me to work on the podcast as well with double the pay.

This is my first week working on “Mediatwits.” I’ll essentially serve as an associate producer: lining up stories, research, and guests for the show; contributing viewpoints, screenshares, and reader comments to the discussion; and distributing the podcast to Google+, our website, YouTube, SoundCloud, iTunes, Facebook, and Twitter.

I couldn’t be happier to work at MediaShift. I get to read and report on the latest innovations of the news industry, a topic I am extremely interested in and have studied independently while serving as editor-in-chief of The Eagle, American University’s student newspaper.

Mark tells me I can stay on as long as I like, even when I go abroad to Costa Rica in July. Interning from abroad? That’ll be an adventure…

First responsibilities

My primary responsibility right now is editing the daily “must-reads.” Waking up regularly at 7 a.m. to do exactly that has been a phenomenal opportunity to actually develop a real sleep schedule and catch up on the latest news before I get my day going.

Blogging is my primary responsibility, and my first piece for PBS was on the Department of Justice probe of Associated Press phone records. It was featured on both the PBS MediaShift home page and the Storify home page.

A screenshot of the Storify homepage May 15, 2013, which features the author’s story on the DOJ probe of AP phone records.

A screenshot of the Storify homepage May 15, 2013, which features the author’s story.

A screenshot of the PBS MediaShift homepage May 15, 2013, which features the author’s story on the DOJ probe of AP phone records.

A screenshot of the PBS MediaShift homepage May 15, 2013, which features the author’s story.

Stay tuned here, PBS MediaShift, my own blog, or on my Twitter account to hear about all my latest work at this internship.