Stay Connected

A professor of mine just gave my class some great advice for when we enter the professional world after graduating, but a lot of the tips also apply to those interning now. One piece of advice really stuck out in my mind, and I thought I’d share.

She recommended, “Let your coworkers and bosses know where you are. If you need to be away from your desk for a while, then leave a note, shoot an email, or write a message on your whiteboard. Don’t leave people wondering where you went.”

This advice really made me think because I had never really thought about how important it is to stay connected with who you work with while in the office. You might just assume people know what you’re doing or where you are. It’s such a simple thing that most people probably overlook. However, what if your boss comes looking for you to assign an important task, but you are never at your desk? You are probably off working on an assignment, or you stepped out of the office to complete a task that another coworker gave you. Unfortunately, if you never tell people where you’re going or what you’re doing they might think you’re flakey, or they might think you’re off getting your nails done or making personal phone calls.

Appearing unreliable or disconnected from the workplace is a terrible reputation to build, so make sure to remember to stay connected. It’s as simple as leaving a note for others to see along with your cell phone number attached. If you’re out of the office completing an assignment, make sure to leave your cell phone on in case anyone needs to reach you immediately. By being available, your coworkers will want to connect with you rather than disconnect you from what is going on in the office.

B.