Trying New Things

When in college, students like to explore their options by interning, which is especially true at American University. However, many students tend to think that they need to intern with companies or organizations that completely compliment their majors and/or minors. Of course, it is smart to intern with places that interest you and that will teach you important skills and information about your future workplace industry, but I don’t think students should be scared to branch out and experiment in areas that are outside of their areas of study.

How will you ever know if you like something if you don’t try it? In the beginning of the year, I had been contemplating going to law school after graduating, but I had never interned in an area revolving around law. So, I took on an internship that allowed me explore the law field. Most importantly, I made sure this position did not seem completely out of place on my resume by having the position involve my minor as well. In the end, I have been able to learn about law while also combining it with another one of my interests and areas of study.

When exploring options that are outside of your comfort zone or area of knowledge, it can be useful to use resources that AU has available to students. I suggest going to the Career Center and seeing if an advisor can point you in the right direction. Also, the Career Center has a library full of information on how to get a job and other important industry basics. I also suggest asking professors for help. If you’re looking for a position outside of the school you study within, then there is no harm in exploring the other AU school web sites and professor information pages. There might be a professor or staff member who is perfect for helping you. You just need to do your research! Lastly, as a School of Communication student, I am a strong supporter of using Twitter to connect with people. Tweet about a position you’re interested in, and you might be surprised by how many people are willing to help.

B.