A Couple Pieces of Advice

There are so many pieces of advice I could give about interning.  Let’s be real though, you’ve heard them all before.  Be professional, work hard, be on time, no complaints, the list goes on and on.  I’m not saying that all those things aren’t important, because they are, but you already know them.  These are things you’ve learned throughout your life, skills and rules that don’t only apply to interning, but to everyday living. 

That being said, I only have two pieces of advice to give.  One is exclusive to interning and work, the other is a little broader.

1. Always, always have a pen on you.  I know, my number one piece of advice is this.  What do I know?  It sounds dumb but I swear that it’s not.  Every time I talk to my supervisor, there is something that needs to be written down.  I am bombarded with so much information in just one conversation that I leave her office a nervous mess, unless I write it all down.  With my pen in hand, I’m cool, calm, and collected (well, as cool, calm, and collected as I ever am).  There is nothing scarier than having to go back to my supervisor’s office and ask her to repeat what she had just told me.  One time doing this is all that it took for me to realize how important it is to write everything down. Trust me on this one.
  2. So, this might be a little cliché, but still, it remains my second piece of advice.  Don’t be shy.  Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself or ask somehow how they are.  I don’t care if they are the boss or another intern.  I think it’s most important to remember that everyone is a person and, sure, they may be so intimidating, but you won’t get noticed unless you make an effort to.  They will be impressed if you take the initiative to introduce yourself.  Plus, you never know who you are going to meet.  Maybe someone who will change your life.  Whether it is someone who could land you a job someday, a new friend, or simply a friendly face to say hi to as you pass in the hallway.  Bottom line, you never know.  What do you have to lose?