Live, Learn, and Intern

After a lot of confusion, stress, and heart-to-hearts with various friends and family members, I declared my major at the end of last semester.  I decided to set my sights on a B.S. in Economics.  I really enjoy learning about economics and the information is so relevant to every day life, so I figured that it would be a good fit for me.  Plus, I’ve always secretly wanted to be a high-powered CFO and this track could lead me in the right direction. 

I should probably mention that I seriously considered a broad range of other subjects before settling on economics.  These include, but are not limited to, anthropology, psychology, biology, and business administration.  To say the least, I’m a little bit indecisive.  To make it worse, I have no idea what I want to do with my life.  Declaring my major, I thought, would put me one step closer to figuring it out.  At the beginning of this semester, I was beyond excited to start my internship and, hopefully, really enjoy my work.

Internships give you a real-life experience.  You may not be doing really intense work, but working in the same office as people with power, waking up early, and being in a professional setting make any internship a valuable experience.  You learn so much, about the work and about yourself.  At my internship, I’ve realized that this really isn’t something that I would want to do for the rest of my life.  I’m not really interested in working at a desk or in front of a computer every day and I really don’t like math very much.  These are realizations that, sure, may put me back a little further while figuring out what I want to do, but make me a little more confident that what I end up doing will be the best for me.  This internship is a great experience for me and I truly value the opportunity.  Maybe it will help me find what I really do like to do.  Fingers crossed.