American University is Everywhere: Make the Most of It

Ever since I began interning years ago, I started to realize how widespread American University’s imprint on DC was (and even further). At a previous internship, my coworker graduated from AU, and my boss previously taught at AU. While I was studying abroad in Beijing, China, I met AU alumni at a random restaurant one night, and they are currently teaching English to students. Currently, my office is extremely connected to AU, and I didn’t even know it when I accepted the position. One of my coworkers has known a previous AU professor of mine for forty years; one of my coworkers is married to an AU alumni; one of my coworkers is currently in the School of Communication’s graduate program; one of my coworkers is an AU alumni; my boss knows various AU professors very well.

This made me realize how big AU’s connection to the DC community is. We are well represented throughout the professional arena, and we should be proud. This realization boosted my school spirit, and it made me realize how important it is to network and make use of the connections that this great school has to offer to its’ students and alumni.

There are so many amazing and talented people who have graduated from AU who have gone on to have successful careers, and students should really utilize this by connecting with them and learning from their success. Also, during networking opportunities, students should ask people where they went to school and what they studied. In DC especially, there will most likely be times when you’ll randomly meet an AU alumni. Through this connection, students should stay in touch and keep that connection going because you never know where it will take you. It could mean a potential job interview or even just a friendly new acquaintance to keep in mind for future opportunities. AU’s presence in prominent businesses and organizations throughout the country and world is something to be proud of, and students should make the most of it – it’s something to be excited about!