Finding the right internship

Prior to starting at Legacy , I worked at a recruiting firm in McPherson Square called HireStrategy. My internship was more HR/Admin focused, but I believe that the skills I learned at HireStrategy really helped me to market myself for other internships. I worked full-time during the summer of 2011 and got a feel for what working life is really like. Definitely not glamorous, but it was nice to have extra money and I honestly felt very accomplished when I could talk about all my progress to co-workers and potential internship supervisors.

I loved doing HR and I’m glad I held the position because it gave me a transferable skill set, but I felt like I needed something more related to my major if I wanted to pursue a Communications job in the future.  I would definitely encourage people to try a position in a field that they don’t study in school because it could set you apart in the future. I learned some amazing skills for the future such as interviewing etiquette, database management, and how to deal with clients and candidates on a daily basis. Never be afraid to learn something new! During my free time I searched for internships for fall 2011 on the AU Career Center and Job Corps websites. I remember sending in 15 applications in one day and hoped for the best. Suddenly (more like after a week of few replies), I remembered my sorority advisor telling me last summer that her company has a wonderful internship program. I looked up the company’s website and I found myself really interested in the work of the organization. I wanted to know more so I e-mailed my advisor my resume and told her that I was interested in the position. I went through a formal interview process and met with multiple people on the Communications Team. It was really nice to have her as a connection because she knows what type of a worker I am and she could vouch for me as the best candidate for the job. Though it is nice to know someone at the company, it’s important to not fall back on them too much. You have to prove to their co-workers that you can handle yourself and the position at hand.  

Everyone may not be in a club/organization on campus, but you never know where an opportunity may pop up. Pay attention to professors who mention current or former workplaces. As terrible as it may sound.. USE PEOPLE- don’t be afraid to seek out opportunities  if you think there is a potential for job or internship placement. People WANT to help you, but they can’t do anything if you don’t ask them!