Your project, my project

The last week at my internship was anything but relaxing. Our organization is preparing for the release of a large report that will be presented at our offices nationwide. The data is due next week and as luck would have it, the data is in no way complete. This report is not in my area, but I had to stop whatever I was doing this week and help collect the data. One of my favorite things about my internship is that I got to do copious amounts of writing; the week I was chained to an Excel spreadsheet and lived mostly in the world of copy, paste. Not how I pictured spending my last week.

While it is to the benefit of the whole organization that I collect and record the data, I resent the fact that I had to give up the projects that my area of the organization was working on and do this project as a result of poor planning. While I know that the data needs to be entered and delivered to the printers, I had my own projects I wanted to work on, to finish the summer with. At what point, do I put my projects aside, that also have deadlines, and take on the work of other project areas?

Fast forward, five days. After working on the project full-time, the data was completed on time, but barely. I did not get to work on any of my projects the last week, which left me with less than a sense of closure. Maybe, that’s a necessary part of adult life: giving up your own projects to literally “take one for the team” and doing what’s best for the team rather than what benefits you the most.