Summer of Adulthood

Big news to start this post. I passed statistics! Towards the end of the class I realized that it was going to be a fight to the finish and I doubted my ability to pull it off. I was meeting my tutor twice a week and trying my absolute hardest and didn’t think it would be enough. But in the end I managed to get the grade I needed and now I never have to take a math class again! (at least this is what I hope). Anyways! To get to the title of this post I think that this summer was a little taste of adulthood for me. How might you ask? Let’s talk about it.

First, it was my first summer not being home at all. I was home for a week in May and a weekend in July and that was it. I have to say that I thought I would enjoy being away from home more than I did. I never realized how much I took that time for granted until I spent a whole summer away. DC in the summer just doesn’t have the relaxed and slow-pace summer vibes that I’m used to at home.

Second, while I’ve worked over the summer before this was the first time it was 9-5 or later everyday. And I’m sorry 2 days off a week does not constitute a summer. Both of my parents are teachers so I suppose I grew up thinking that everyone had off during the summer. It was such a nice idea! Summer break for everyone! But alas, this is not the real world, and pretty much everyone, including my parents as I came to learn still go to work in the summer.

And finally, I think, DC in the summer is not my favorite place. Waking up early and getting on the metro or bus in the morning with seemingly the entirety of the city is not my most liked activity. I guess I just kind of felt like I was thrust into this world of meetings, offices, commutes, hotter than survivable temperatures, business casual attire, office hierarchies and overall a mindset and life I don’t know if I want for myself. But more on that in my next and final post!