First Day at TIME

I was a healthy mix of nervous and excited today as I traveled up the elevator nine flights to the office of the TIME Magazine Washington Bureau. I wasn’t sure what to expect, and I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to act when I got there. But I definitely was able to navigate my way through the day, and I’m so excited to get back tomorrow.

When I first got to the office, I immediately made contact with Lissa, who’s been the one emailing me start dates and helping me with transition. She showed me around the office and set me up at my desk. Having that point person was really crucial so I was never at a loss as to what standard procedure was. She was very helpful.

Before I knew it, I was saddled with reading through hundreds of pages of former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin’s emails. 24,000 pages of these emails had just been released, so I should have seen it coming. It screams “intern work.” It was pretty tedious, but luckily the entire office agreed. Everyone had pulled some weight, so they understood my pain. But it felt good to be useful. I’d hate to get there and just twiddle my thumbs. I was really involved in the actual production of the paper.

While doing that, I was also called away to do various research tasks for Duffy, the bureau chief. I would be expected to drop what I was doing to do a quick task. Multitasking and managing different responsibilities all at the same time became essential.

We also had two meetings, and I got to see the decision-making process in how the magazine is made. Writers and editors pitched stories, talked deadlines, and assigned responsibilities. It was very cool to see how my responsibilities fit into the larger framework of the publication.

The toughest part of my internship so far is, quite frankly, learning names and remembering instructions. I’ve never had a very good memory for names, so I’ve got my work cut out for me. As we start finalizing the magazine tomorrow, I’m going to expect lots of instructions to come at me pretty quickly. It’s going to be exhilarating.