An Unexpected Opportunity

The end of the spring semester is always a stressful time. While you want to enjoy the gorgeous weather you’ve been waiting for all semester, you end up spending endless hours in the library working on group projects, writing papers, or studying for exams. On top of school work, the summer job/internship search is an added stress.

Although I applied for internship positions in late March, I didn’t start to hear back until late April. While I was fortunate to schedule some interviews, I was worried as the semester was coming to an end that I didn’t have any set summer plans. However, during the last week of classes, I unexpectedly received an email titled “FPA U Internship.”

This past spring semester, I served as a Student Ambassador for the Foreign Policy Association University (FPA U) program, which hosts a series of career seminars on fields in international affairs in NYC and DC. I learned about this opportunity through AU’s Citizens for Global Solutions chapter since FPA U reached out to university student organizations. As a student ambassador, I helped FPA U promote their seminars to the AU community by reaching out to professors and student organizations, speaking to the Career Center, and holding information tables in MGC. In addition to marketing, I helped out at the seminars with registrations and set up and was even able to watch the instructors’ presentations. As an international studies major, this was the perfect opportunity to learn more about potential future career tracks.

Although I frequently emailed FPA U to update them on my marketing plan, I was surprised to see the email titled “FPA U Internship.” Before I opened the email, I assumed they were emailing all of the Student Ambassadors about a summer internship opportunity. To my surprise, FPA U emailed me directly. Both of my supervisors appreciated my effort and enthusiasm in assisting them with the FPA U program and offered me a full time summer internship. Since I enjoyed my experience as a Student Ambassador, I gladly accepted the internship opportunity. Not only was I excited to secure a summer internship, but to also be recognized for my efforts as a Student Ambassador.

Based on my experience, I highly recommend for any student to always be on the look out for opportunities, whether it be on the Today@AU newsletter, at an MGC information table, or through a student organization you’re involved with. If an outside organization that you’re interested in is offering a Student Ambassador or similar type of volunteer position, take advantage of it! You never know what the opportunity might lead to.