Its a dangerous business, going out your door

One of the worst parts of interning is the commute.

It takes approximately 45 minutes to get from campus to my internship and costs me almost ten dollars in Metro fair.  Since my internship is unpaid, this really hurts my already slim wallet.  If I could improve the already spectacular career center it would be to start a transportation grant to help pay for Metro fare.

Unfortunately, money doesn’t grow on any of AU’s 75 species of trees so I have come up with some ways to make this part of my day just a little bit better.

1. Listening to Kanye really loudly on the Metro while observing the tourists

2.  Taking a different route to work every day.  Farragut North has like three exits so I try to mix it up every now and then.  This gives me the added bonus of improving my horrible sense of direction

3.  Looking out for new WONK ads

4.  Reading the Eagle.  I never used to do this.  Now I am always caught up on Eagle Rants and can impress my friends with my knowledge of campus events.

5.  And most of all, not stressing if I end up at Solidarity late.  The good thing about being an intern is that it is not essential that I arrive perfectly on time (even though I always try!)

The only part I really like about the commute is walking past the White House on my way back to the Metro station.  I love seeing families out enjoying DC along with sharply dressed professionals hurrying home.  It is a nice juxtaposition and reminds me just how much I love going to school here!

I think this will be my last post for awhile.  I’ll do one more to wrap up the end of the year and then that’s it!  I hope everyone does well on their finals and gets a chance to relax!

Share/Save