About Halfway

The Past Week:

As midterms and Spring break loom, my internship with holaciudad.com is about halfway done. It is amazing how fast time flies; it helps that I am always busy at my internship.

This past week I worked on two articles. I wrote one article about an internship program the Smithsonian Latino Center offers Latino students between their senior years in high school and their first year of college. I also drafted an article about a program AT&T’s HACEMOS (a Latino association) and Junior Achievement offered high school students. The program is called “National High Technology Day” and provides students the opportunity to shadow engineers and other workers who use math and science at AT&T. The program seeks to increase the number of minority students who study math and science.

I continue to collect and update events to put on the website calendar. An interesting development on this front is that after spending so much time trying to find out what’s going on in D.C., I now have a good list of venues and event sites to reference not only for using during my internship but also when planning my own weekends.

Last Friday I was greeted with a pleasant sursprice when I arrived at holaciudad.com just after lunch. All the women in the office were gathered in the conference rooming watching a new telenovela that premiered this Monday on Telemundo called “La reina del Sur.” We spent about an hour watching the first episode and eating pizza. The telenovela is about a women in Mexico who married a man involved in the drug trade and how she must fight for her life after he is killed by other men in the gang.

Stay Tuned:

This week I have a “midterm” review with my boss, Laura. She and I will go over how things are going and also discuss a project that will be central to my work for the rest of the semester.

Share/Save